Finally, we improved our design based on our different user-centered research methods.
With the lab tests, we improved interface elements by better fitting them to the users’ mental models.
- Identifying routes during the create process
With the field test, we simulated the application in a real situation & tested its feasibility.
- The system would likely create new social interactions and norms. But they are seamless and nuanced enough that our user enjoyed the experience.
We tested peoples’ trust in a system full of strangers.
- With insights about users’ reactions to the application and how they develop ttrust and confidence, we improved these features and emphasized their significance.
Easy & Straight Forward Join Process
Users don’t always read text
- Understanding users’ expectations: joining & leaving your group
- Users generally enjoyed the join process
- But not all of them were able to conceptualize what they need to do, step-by-step “What does ends at really mean?”
- We realized some screens were a little text heavy even if it was a necessary evil
- Represent information through visuals
Join Process Animation
Easy & Straightforward Create Process
Guiding the user through the creation process
- Our participants seemed to ignore a lot of the details and just wanted to move on
- Users would get stuck during the creation process because they weren’t sure what to do
- Directions on this screen were rarely read.
Create Process Animation
Refined Route Creation
Users didn’t understand the significance of multiple routes
Users didn’t distinguish between an individual destination and the group destination
- Our concept for creating a group has the user pinpoint or search for a destination
- The system then recommends a few routes based on safety & walking data
- The user then is expected to choose from the available routes
- This way hides the creator’s final destination, research showed users would be concerned revealing this private information. It would leave them more “vulnerable.”
- Our previous design was confusing, users couldn’t understand this concept and didn’t know where to proceed.
Selecting Routes Animation
More visible Trust System
Introducing new ways to build confidence and trust in the system’s users
- Our application leans on social norms. Some users in our research have questioned whether this will make it *easier* for people to take advantage of others.
- Without the users’ trust and confidence, the app loses its purpose.
- The more users discovered new identifiers, the more confident they said they’d be about trusting people. For example, a number of users said they really valued experience as a metric for trust.
- Trust needs to be a greater focal point of our application.
Showing Profile Animation
Trust System Animation
Night Beacon Website
- We also envision a website where people can learn more about the app
- We got a number of questions (from you in 682 and from others) about where the night data comes from. We envision this type of information can be revealed on the website.
- Like CouchSurfing, we can use testimonials as another way to quell users’ doubts.
- This external information will give people another resource for learning more about what this application can do and how one can do it.